At Castle Donington College, the Geography curriculum aims to inspire pupils to develop a curiosity and fascination about the world and its people that will remain with them for the rest of their lives. Geography lessons will equip pupils with knowledge about diverse places, people, resources and natural and human environments, together with a deep understanding of the Earth’s key physical and human processes. They will acquire knowledge of the world and an understanding of the interaction between physical and human processes along with an understanding of the formation and use of landscapes and environments.
The Geography curriculum taught at Castle Donington College mirrors the National Curriculum for geography and aims to ensure that all pupils:
- Develop contextual knowledge of the location of globally significant places (terrestrial and marine)
- How these locations provide a geographical context for understanding the actions of processes
- Understand the processes that give rise to key physical and human geographical features of the world,
- Are competent in the geographical skills needed to collect, analyse and communicate with a range of data gathered through experiences of fieldwork that deepen their understanding of geographical processes
- Interpret a range of sources of geographical information, including maps, diagrams, globes, aerial photographs and Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
- Communicate geographical information in a variety of ways, including through maps, numerical and quantitative skills and writing at length.
Pupils receive two lessons of Geography each fortnight in KS3 as part of a Humanities curriculum. Pupils are taught in mixed ability tutor groups throughout and teacher expertise and differentiated resources are used effectively to support, stretch and challenge all pupils.
Geography is taught to all pupils in all years in mixed ability groups. Pupils follow discreet units in Year 7 and 8 under the broader Humanities curriculum and then specialise in Year 9, with key skills running throughout.