Subject Access Request
Subject Access Request (SAR) – Process and Protocol
On the College website there are ‘Privacy Notices’ that explain how data is collected and used. It is important to read those notices as it explains how data is used in detail.
Any individual, or person with parental responsibility, or pupil with sufficient understanding to make a request, is entitled to ask what information is held. Copies of the information shall also be made available on request.
To ensure that requests are dealt with in an effective and timely manner we may seek to clarify the terms of a request.
Requests should be made on the Subject Access Request Form and returned to the Main Office at Castle Donington College.
Exemptions to a SAR exist and may include
• Education, Health, Social Work records
• Examination marks and scripts
• Safeguarding records
• Special educational needs
• Parental records and reports
• Legal advice and proceedings
• Adoption and Court records and/or reports
• Regulatory activity and official requests e.g. DfE statistical information
• National security, Crime and taxation
• Journalism, literature and art
• Research history, and statistics
• Confidential references
All data subjects have the right to know:-
• What information is held?
• Who holds it?
• Why is it held?
• What is the retention period?
• That each data subject has rights. Consent can be withdrawn at any time (subject to contractual, statutory or regulatory constraints).
• A right to request rectification, erasure or to limit or stop processing
• A right to complain
Many of these questions will be within the Privacy Notices on the website.
The information will be provided in an electronic format, usually within one calendar month of the request. However in some circumstances, for example when the College is closed for holidays, this may be extended by up to another calendar month.