Values and Ethos
At Castle Donington College, we have students at the heart of everything we do.
Our vision is to be the provider of an outstanding education in a caring, calm, safe and supportive environment for every student. Learning will be engaging, challenging and inspiring so that each student will achieve individual excellence and be the best that they can be.
We want all our students to be
- Motivated and enthused by the challenge of learning
- Aspirational and determined to fulfil their individual potential
- Inspired to enjoy and succeed in all aspects of learning
- Proud of their own achievements and to value, respect and celebrate the success of others
- Positive contributors to College life and within the local community
- Resilient, life-long learners who are well prepared for their post-16 destination and for life in the modern world
- Mature young people with high self-esteem
- Accountable citizens who are responsible, respectful and tolerant within a diverse and evolving society
To achieve this we will:
- Provide a caring, safe and stimulating learning environment
- Focus on inspiring, creative and effective teaching and learning across a broad and balanced curriculum
- Create personalised and inclusive opportunities that motivate and recognise the potential of each individual
- Have the highest expectations of all and provide a supportive environment that will enable staff to develop professionally and be valued as one collective team
- Develop leadership skills by ensuring that leaders at all levels act as positive role models and lead by example
- Provide enrichment through extra-curricular activities
- Promote equal opportunity in all aspects of College life
- Work in partnership and collaboration between students, parents/carers, staff, governors and the local community, including primary school and post-16 transition
- Invest in social, moral, spiritual and cultural development of every student
- Deliver effective guidance to prepare students to make appropriate choices in our rapidly changing world
- Ensure that financial resources are used effectively to benefit our current students
Our Core Values
Castle Donington College is committed to serving its community. It recognises the multi-cultural, multi-faith and ever-changing nature of the United Kingdom. It also understands the vital role it has in ensuring that groups and individuals, within the College, are not subjected to intimidation or radicalisation by those wishing to unduly, or illegally, influence them. We follow equal opportunities guidance, which guarantees that there will be no discrimination against any individual or group, regardless of faith, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, political or financial status.
Castle Donington College is dedicated to preparing students for their adult life and ensuring that it promotes and reinforces British values to all its students. The Government requires all schools to ensure that key ‘British Values’ are taught. The five British Values are:
- The rule of law
- Individual liberty
- Mutual respect
- Tolerance of those of different faiths and beliefs
Castle Donington College promotes these values to students in all aspects of College life. We believe in making sure all students leave us with the strongest foundation of values upon which to build a successful life and successful contribution to our society.
The principle of democracy is consistently reinforced at Castle Donington College. Democratic processes are used for important decisions within the College community, for instance, elections being held for the Student Council and mock elections for the General Election. Students are involved in the recruitment of new staff, curriculum student voice activities and participate in an annual student survey. The principles of democracy is explored in the Humanities curriculum as well as in PSHE lessons and assemblies.
The Rule of Law
The importance of rules, whether they be those that govern a small group, the College, or the country, are consistently reinforced at Castle Donington College. Students are taught the rules and expectations which are highlighted in our Behaviour Policy. Students are taught the value of and the reasons behind laws that govern and protect us as well as the responsibilities and the consequences when laws are broken.
At Castle Donington College, students are actively encouraged to make independent choices, with the knowledge that they are in a safe, secure and supportive environment. Staff at Castle Donington College support students to make informed decisions, through a supportive and an empowering curriculum. Students are encouraged to know, understand and exercise their rights and personal freedoms in all aspects of College life.
Respect is a strong part of Castle Donington College. Students learn that their behaviour has an impact on themselves and others. We expect all members of the College community treat each other with respect. Our curriculum provides opportunity for students to express their views in a safe environment, to listen and learn from the views of others.
Tolerance of Those of Different Faiths and Beliefs
Castle Donington College equips students with the ability to understand their place in a culturally diverse society. Students are actively encouraged to share their faith and beliefs within the College and celebrate festivities throughout the calendar year. The Religious Education curriculum provides broad and balanced coverage on a range of faiths, religions and cultures, the PSHE curriculum also engages with different attitudes and beliefs.
Safeguarding Students Who Are Vulnerable To Extremism and Radicalisation
Castle Donington College seeks to protect its students against the messages of all violent extremism including, but not just restricted to Islamic Ideology, Far Right ideology or White Supremacist ideology. Any concern is referred to the Designated Safeguarding Lead or Principal or directly to the Police, Prevent or Channel agencies.